Contribution to Da'wah

As-salāmu ʿalaykum

Hi Everyone!

I guess I am back with another post.
This time it is on my contribution to Da'wah.

Just like da'wah, I believe the usrah we have here in IIUM is a good exposure to da'wah and it is not that bad after all. True enough, da'wah starts with one's self first before others. The usrah sessions have taught me alot.
Throughout out the sessions we had this sem, I was able to see different perspectives to an issue, I could relate to some examples that were brought up as well as better understand the essence of Islam and how I could further improve myself as a muslimah.
We had a task in which we had to make a poster in pairs. Mine was on abortion.


Well, actually da'wah has always been a major part of my life. It has always been there since I could remember. I would not even be surprise if my first few words were usrah, or al-amru bil ma'ruf wan nahyu 'an munkaar. hahaha

I come from a family of educators, social workers and counselors. They are all pretty much involved in the da'wah field.
I remember following my parents to events and talks and not understanding a single thing. They would put my siblings and I down at a corner with some toys to entertain ourselves.

Years later, I am all grown up. I am now part of the Muslimah-in-Mind group in Singapore.
 Muslimah-in-Mind is a network of sisters supporting and empowering Muslim women to achieve their potential to become leaders and change makers in the community.
There's an usrah session every Tuesday which sadly I could not attend due to studies here in KL.
Every other month, there would be an overnight meet up session for reflections and activities.
It's interesting to be around inspiring successful women who are passionate in da'wah and are willing to dedicate time out of their tight schedules to be with young muslimahs.
What's more cooler is being able to see my mum in action and doing what she does best.
No words can describe how proud I am to be the daughter of such an amazing woman.

Since I was in religious schools, we were exposed to community involvement programmes. We would raise funds for mosques and NGOs on Fridays. Occasionally, we would deliver necessity packages to the elderly or needy families. We would decorate and paint their houses in time for EidulFitri. Being part of such good causes have undoubtedly contribute to the person I am today.  Alhamdulillah.




But da'wah comes in many forms. I believe in enriching the soul with necessary qualities a da'ee needs to have before diving straight in to da'wah missions.
Therefore, I try to follow humanitarian missions  at least once a year. Just like how my dad used to go overseas to deliver aids and necessities annually. Such missions teaches a lot of priceless lesson you could never get unless you are able to be physically there to experience what the people go through on a daily basis.
Empathy, humility, gratitude are among some essential attributes one should try to instill.  Joining humanitarian missions is definitely one of the ways, I would suggest. 

The most humbling humanitarian missions I have taken part was in Cambodia.
It was one of the most exhausting yet memorable missions I have been to.
We built wells for a village, painted schools and conducted activities for village kids. 



I guess, in a nutshell, da'wah starts from focusing on yourself first, on trying to become a better person than you are yesterday and strive to become an even better person tomorrow than you are today. Of course, no one can become perfect nor anyone is infallible either.
But what matters is what you make out of it and the sincere intention that you are doing it solely for Allah by using your means and whatever you have to make the world a better place. In Shaa Allah.
Just like how Allah had mentioned in the Qur'an:
"It is He who has appointed You vicegerent on the earth and exalted some of you in rank above others, so that He may test you by means of what he has given you." (Surah al-An'am, 6:165)

And aren't we Allah's vicegerents?

Signing off,
Azzah

Comments

Popular Posts